Goal Area 4: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Goal 1: Design a business model (BM) that embeds and institutionalizes the DEI strategy in Carmel’s comprehensive strategic plan.
- To ensure the DEI strategy is integrated into all aspects of the institution and its planning.
- Align with all Task Forces
- Conduct in-service DEI business model (BM) workshop.
- Define Carmel’s DEI value proposition through the lens of Carmel’s mission.
- Design a BM around the DEI value proposition and align BM into Carmel’s Strategic Plan.
- Design a BM around the 2050 program and multi-cultural center.
- Re-evaluate and implement Carmel’s Diversity Recruitment and Retention Plan to invest in hiring and developing diverse and talented professionals to promote a dynamically diverse and inclusive work environment.
Goal 2: Establish DEI advisory feedback committees for Carmel stakeholders (e.g.,
students, alumni, parents, vendors, funders) and student support groups for underrepresented student populations (e.g., Black, LatinX, LGBTQ).
- To create channels for representative voices of our community to contribute to the effective implementation of DEI initiatives.
- Align with Student Life and Advancement
- Determine DEI advisory committee & student support roles and responsibilities.
- Recruit DEI advisory committee and student support group members who are the most affected community members and are concerned with or have experience related to DEI issues.
- Develop a training program for the advisory committee and student support group members to enhance their advisory and support capacity and team-building effectiveness.
- Conduct an advisory committee and student support group training.
- Convene advisory committees and student support groups.
Goal 3: Enhance Carmel’s curriculum to integrate diverse groups and marginalized
communities in the curriculum.
- To ensure students graduate from Carmel with an expanded cultural palate, empathy enabling them to be productive citizens in a global, diverse economy.
- Align with Academics and Catholic Identity
- Organize a curriculum audit committee.
- Convene in-service workshops on curriculum reform approach.
- Develop curriculum audit criteria.
- Conduct a curriculum audit to establish a strong academic support program for a diverse student population.
- Report curriculum audit findings and recommendations
- Conduct faculty training to implement reforms.
- Implement curriculum reforms that complement our faith and charisms to support a diverse community.
Goal 4: Establish frameworks, community engagement processes, and data collection
tools to evaluate the efficacy of Carmel’s DEI policy and procedure practices.
- To ensure effective implementation and intended outcomes.
- Align with Academics and Student Life
- Organize a policy and procedures audit committee.
- Develop protocols/rubrics informed by Carmel’s key stakeholders to guide decisions on policy and procedures.
- Audit and examine the potential unintended consequences of any existing policies and procedures.
- Present the policy and procedures audit findings along with recommendations to the Board for their approval.
- Document and implement new policy and procedures.
- Conduct an annual review of policy and procedures using the protocols/rubrics informed by Carmel’s key stakeholders.
Goal 5: Invest in the professional development of faculty, Board, and staff, focusing on
in-house in-service peer-facilitated workshops.
- To support the ongoing training and development of staff and leadership to fulfill DEI initiatives
- Align with Catholic Identity
- Use Equity, Advocacy, and Diversity: New directions for Catholic Schools (Martin and Litton) as the basis for developing in-services curriculum.
- Add a diversity and inclusion component to our on-boarding and integration materials for new employees.
- Convene quarterly in-house, in-services workshops on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Convene quarterly in-house, in-services and workshops for CCHS Board of Directors on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Evaluate the efficacy of in-house, in-service workshops.
Goal 6: Develop and implement a crisis communication plan.
- To ensure a prompt, accurate, and confident response during an emergency or hostile situation improving Carmel’s public perception through transparency in the handling of the incident.
- Develop a risk assessment process to identify scenarios that would require crisis communications with Carmel’s community.
- Review all crisis communication language to ensure that it is mainly inclusive and consistent with all communications.
- Systemize and codify inclusive processes and language for use in all crisis communications.