Uniform Dress Code
During this time, Carmel is allowing casual dress each day for both necessity and comfort. Students may wear uniform elements, e.g., Carmel polo with non-uniform bottoms. If not wearing casual dress, students must be in uniform. IDs are to be worn on lanyard at all times; No nametags for the time being.
Casual Dress Guidelines
- Denim jeans (not shorts) without holes/rips
- Regular Carmel dress code bottoms
- Loose-fitting sweatpants are permitted as a privilege
- Not permitted: shorts, yoga pants, leggings/jeggings, or mini-skirts
- Short or long sleeve t-shirts, polo shirts, button down shirts
- Tops must cover from outer shoulder to outer shoulder and collarbone to waist.
- Hoodies (with hoods down), crew neck sweatshirts, fleeces, sweaters and other outerwear
- Not permitted: sheer tops, midriff style or crop style tops, bare-shoulder/sleeveless tops, tops tied at the waist
- Socks must be worn
- Footwear must be designed for outdoor use and appropriate to the classroom environment
- Not permitted: marking soles, slippers, sandals without socks
- Clothing with references to alcohol, tobacco, weapons, drugs or other unsafe substances are not permitted.
- Hats and head coverings are not permitted.
- Political slogans are not permitted.
Carmel Spirit Wear is encouraged, but not required. Students may also elect to wear their school uniform or uniform items.
While these guidelines are thorough, they are by no means exhaustive, and ultimately the Deans of Students will determine the suitability of dress code items in question.
Casual dress is being offered for the following reasons:
- Locker rooms are closed due to COVID-19
- Students cannot change safely in bathrooms with physical distancing into activewear for PE, dance, etc.
- Needed to allow student dress that would be conducive to activity-based classes
- Other considerations: masks, students carrying backpacks, teachers focused on safety
Carmel Catholic students are expected to be in full dress code during the entire school day. Students demonstrate the values of Community, Reverence, and Enthusiasm when complying with the Carmel Catholic High School Uniform Dress Code:
Our uniform is a living symbol of our unity in this Carmel Catholic Community, therefore it is important that we wear it with intention and care.
Reverence for our own personal dignity motivates us to present ourselves in the best possible way. The way we wear our uniform reflects this dignity.
Embracing the Carmel Catholic uniform as an opportunity to demonstrate pride in your school and community makes the value of Enthusiasm come to life.
GENERAL UNIFORM GUIDELINES
- Carmel standard Lands End Polo or Oxford worn tucked in all the way around. A solid (unprinted) gray, white, black, or navy long or short sleeved t-shirt may be worn underneath.
- Carmel standard Lands End sweaters, fleece, or crew-neck sweatshirts may be worn as an outerlayer. As of the 2019/2020 school year, Carmel approved outerwear (sold in the bookstore) may also be worn. Uniform shirts must be worn with collar visible and be tucked in underneath an outer layer. Carmel Lands End hoodies may not be worn.
- Tops must cover the midriff and undergarments at all times.
- Non-uniform outerwear including sweatshirts, hoodies, team/club attire is not part of the regular dress code.
- A long Lands End Carmel cardigan sweater with Carmel logo may be worn with pants.
- Students may wear only traditional, classic cut, or relaxed fit chinos, often referred to as khaki or “dockers-style” with flat or pleated fronts. Lands End pants are acceptable, but not required.
- Skinny pants, jeans, dyed denim, leggings, cargo pants, and capris are not permitted.
- Pants must not have rivets.
- Acceptable colors include black, navy, grey and khaki/tan.
- Pants must be worn at the waist and must extend to the ankles. Pants may not be rolled up.
- Pants must cover the midriff and undergarments at all times.
- Pants do not need to contain the Carmel “C” logo.
- Skirts must be longer than mid-thigh.
- Skirts may not be rolled at the waist.
- Skirts must be from Lands End and contain the Carmel “C” logo stitched by Lands End.
- Lands End Carmel polo or oxford shirts must be tucked into the skirt all the way around.
- Leggings and tights may be worn under skirts as long as the skirt fits the length requirements.
- Dress shoes and athletic shoes are acceptable as long as they have non-marking soles.
- Shoes must be closed toed and closed heeled and designed for indoor use.
- Socks must be worn.
- Flip flops, crocs, slippers, and high heels are not permitted during the school day.
- Any shoes/boots deemed inappropriate, unsafe, damaging/scuffing, or extreme by the Deans are not permitted. Pants may not be tucked into shoes/boots.
- Each student is expected to wear their own Carmel issued nametag at all times during the school day, without exception.
- The name tag should be worn, free from decoration or alteration, above the Carmel logo on the outer layer.
- Replacements for lost/missing/misplaced name tags are available in the bookstore for a cost of $5. If funds are not immediately available a parent will be called for credit card information. A temporary name tag will be issued while a new one is being printed.
- Each student is expected to carry their own current Carmel ID card at all times during the school day, without exception and at all on or off-campus Carmel events.
Carmel Catholic Uniform Resale Shop
See Mrs. Pucci in the bookstore to inquire about the selection in the Uniform Resale Shop. Please donate your retired uniform items to the Carmel Catholic Bookstore.
Questions may be directed to Ms. Laskonis, Dean of Students, email@example.com.